Monday, September 8, 2008

what is the best joint health dog food


what is the best joint health dog food?
I have a bichon that has knee problems and I have talked to my vet a little bit about it. She told me to try joint health dog food. But, I'm not sure what is the best kind out there. I know I should just call my vet, but, I'm worried she'd just sell me what they have in the office and I know that it is really expensive.
Dogs - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Sounds like some kind of Science diet scam food thing to me. Your vet is getting kickbacks from Science Diet for recommending food like this. If you need to switch your dog's food to improve overall health, consider switching to a high-quality grain-free food. And it would be cheaper than anything Science Diet makes.
2 :
While quality food does absolutely contribute to good health, strong bones and healthy skin, it does not solve joint problems, and don't let anyone tell you that it does. Knee / bone or joint problems are a physical and structural ailment which requires either surgical intervention, or drug therapy or physio therapy. Food is not going to cure that. Like people food, quality dog food by the way will always cost more than low quality foods.
3 :
a good dog food helps with overall health (petfoodproject.com) however most dog foods do not contain enough glucosime to help that much it is better to just buy a supplement of glucosamine chondroitin http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1448&aid=670 and an omega 3 and omega 6 can also help with inflammation.
4 :
I own a Pomeranian mix with a knee issue (luxating patella) and I fed EVO & Timberwolf. Also, to help with the joints my Vet recommended I start giving supplements that contain glucosamine. I suggest you first talk to your Veterinarian before you start giving any supplements: http://www.amazon.com/Dasuquin-Dogs-Under-60-Pound-150-Count/dp/B000MD2H1U
5 :
You, like me are concerned about vets and their motives. A large % of vets are more concerned with profits than the welfare of our dogs. I appreciated that you would not be too concerned with the expensence, if what the vet recommended was in your dogs best interests. Metacam and Rymadal are usually prescribed by vets for arthritis. Unfortunately both of these medications can cause internal bleeding and they horrify me; however at the onset of pain they give relief. My GSD was diagnosed with arthritis in her knees, she suffered from internal bleeding when she was prescribed Metacam, this was apparent when her stools became almost black. I investigated other meds on the internet and discovered Flexadin. It’s about £70 from the vets and £20 on the internet. It contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin which help enormously with pain and bone problems; however it also contains Devils Claw which also helps with pain. Later I accidentally discovered that Seraquin has other virtues because as well as the above stuff it also contains Turmeric, this is about £60 from the vets and £16 on the internet. It could take up to six weeks for either Flexadin or Saraquin to take effect. However if your dog has joint problems you should give it a go.It helped my dog to cope and I agree that some vets are just looking for profit. Edit. It is late at night and I could have misunderstood the question. Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or have the other anserers misunderstood the question.



Read more discussions :