Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Is it safe for me to feed Purina Urinary Tract Health formula cat food to both of my cats


Is it safe for me to feed Purina Urinary Tract Health formula cat food to both of my cats?
I have two cats. One was just diagnosed with a UTI. =( He's on antibiotics. I also went and bought a bag of Purina Urinary Tract Health cat food, since I heard it's good. I read on the website that you're not supposed to mix it with other types of cat food. In other words, you're only supposed to feed your cat the Purina Urinary Tract food for maximum effectiveness. So my question is, should I just put down the Purina and take up the regular food? Is it safe for me to do that? Thanks guys! Any other tips on how to help my kitty feel better are welcome. This is his second UTI. (I think he's stressed b/c we just moved.)
Cats - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yes, it's safe. all Purina does is help, not change. so, it basically affects only the ill cats and it does help your ill cat. it helped mine:P
2 :
I work at Petco and we NEVER recommend Purina. All natural, hollistic foods are MUCH better. Purina is full of artificial fillers for cats and they have to eat much more to get full. With Purina, the ratio of keeping to losing the food is 1:3 (they keep one part in their stomach and the other three parts end up in the litter box), which makes them eat MUCH more. With the all natural foods like Natural Balance and Natural choice, they keep 3 parts and only 1 part goes into the litter (3:1). So this means, less food for you to buy, and a healthier cat.
3 :
because of my one cat, who is prone to uti's, i feed all my cats the purina one for urinary tract health...they all love it trust me and it is much better for the uti's than the food you get for the same thing from the vets (check the ingredients) the main thing you are looking at is magnesium which is what causes crystals and the purina food is lower
4 :
sreb is so right! All Purina foods are very low quality. The only thing I would add is NEVER feed a male cat with a history of urinary problems a diet of dry food! Natural Balance has a good line of quality canned food, Wellness and Lick Your Chops are good too. Go to www.littlebigcat.com and read Dr. Jean Hovfe's article titled "Why Cats Need Canned Food". It's at the end of about fifty articles on cat nutrition, health, behavior etc.
5 :
I have a Maine Coon who has had a few bouts with UTI's and gave her antibiotics. I used the Purina one and for awhile it worked great but this last time the vet suggest a prescription diet for this condition, I have a male cat too and he eats the same thing it won't hurt him, but may protect him from the condition. I have no way of making sure each eats only out of their own bowl bowl so the eat the same the best for the sick one.
6 :
Hi there...cats with lower urinary disorders (UTI) benefit from diets that can acidify the urine pH (like cranberry juice does for humans). Dry food makes the urine pH more alkaline therefore increasing the risk of recurring infections thus irritating the bladder lining. Wet food however hydrates a cat acidifying the urine pH so ideally a cat should eat more wet food to minimimize recurrences. Though dry foods do not cause UTI's, several studies have shown that the cat's total fluid intake is decreased when dry diets are fed. When the fluid intake is decreased, the urine is more concentrated with minerals and other materials that can cause future episodes of urinary disorders. Please see the following articles about how feline lower urinary tract disorders are affected by diet: http://www.penmarric.ns.ca/catcare/health/FUS.htm http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3672831&dopt=Abstract
 Read more discussions :