Saturday, October 24, 2009

Can I feed Urinary Health cat food to normal cats


Can I feed Urinary Health cat food to normal cats?
I picked up a can of Friskies Urinary Health because it has ocean whitefish instead of meat-byproducts as first ingredients (Is it still the best? No. But it's what my budget allows). My cats don't have a problem with that, but can I still feed it to them?
Cats - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
As long as it's not a veterinary diet (which I know the crap such as Friskies isn't), then it's safe to feed. I would still consider finding a better food that can fit your budget, though.
2 :
It won't hurt them. I recommend varying their diet a little and making sure they don't get too much fish. Too much fish can have a negative impact on their health in the long term. I'm surprised they're selling a urinary health formula that has fish. It's been known to cause urinary tract problems, especially in males. At any rate, if it's just a little that you picked up on accident it will be fine. Check around in your area for Newman's Own Organics. It's a great brand, and you can find it at Target and some Wal*Mart stores. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is another healthy brand that's not too expensive. Best of luck to you!
3 :
I would actually not feed Friskies anything. Its a bad brand. You are better off spending the money on a high quality grain free cat food such as Evo, Weruva, Natures Variety, or Wellness. It costs more, but you save money in vet care, litter, and your cats are healthier and more active.
4 :
Absolutely. It is intended for healthy cats to AVOID getting UTI, which are very common in cats, particularly as they get older.
5 :
I never recommend feeding cats anything with fish in it. I've never read the friskies ingredient label but, fish can be a source of urinary problems. What did your Vet recommend ? And don't believe all the answers you get on the internet, Vets actually go to school for this and know what they are talking about. And yes they receive perks, but I know at least a hundred vets and none would hurt a cat for a calender ! Also, people forget to mention these same pet food companies are the ones that keep the Shelters, Rescues, Humane Societies and animal groups funded thru their grants. Sorry for the soapbox, but this has been on my mind.



 Read more discussions :