Saturday, November 24, 2012

Is it hazardous to your health to cook food in a zip-lock bag in boiling water


Is it hazardous to your health to cook food in a zip-lock bag in boiling water?

Cooking & Recipes - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes. .The bag will melt. The "boil in bag" that you get with frozen food is specially designed to hold up to the tempretures.
2 :
yes
3 :
No, just make sure the air is squeezed out so it won't burst while cooking.
4 :
Not to my knowledge. I manage a motel at the Jersey Shore during the summer and have had "make your own omelet" breakfasts which involves putting everything in a zip lock bag and boiling it. Never any complaints of illness to date. As for long term hazards your guess is as good as mine. I got the idea from a camping magazine, so I doubt it was formally tested for long term risks.
5 :
It could be, They are now saying that plastic's such as cling free plastic wrap, plastics that are stored in the freezer's , any type of plastic has some dangerous chemical in it that is released into the very food its holding when heated , whether its cooked on stove or microwave , or conventional ovens...just another caution..!!!!! I always did wonder about that plastic and the moisture it built up and knowing I would not want to eat plastic ..
6 :
no, i make omlets in a bag for my family all the time and we eat them when we go camping. We didn't get sick and we are all alive!
7 :
I have never heard of anything like that so I would doubt that there is any hazard.



 Read more discussions :