Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I bought some boneless chicken breasts from the health food store on August 8 can I still cook and eat it


I bought some boneless chicken breasts from the health food store on August 8 can I still cook and eat it?
I bought it on August 8 so that would make it two weeks in the refrigerator. I can't tell if it smells bad or not really. It's organic and it's the first time I've bought organic so I don't know if they use any preservatives or what the shelf life is. Is it still safe to use to make chicken tortilla soup? Aklam I do need a wife do you need a husband lol
Cooking & Recipes - 15 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I wouldn't trust it to be on the safe side.
2 :
No it's not still good. You are only supposed to keep chicken in the fridge for 3 days and freeze it after that. So it looks like you need to throw this out.
3 :
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 :
Do Not Eat It. Chicken will not last in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. It must be cooked or frozen with in 2-3 days.
5 :
It is just fine. If it wasnt refrigerated and sat on the counter for two weeks, a smell would emminate that you'll never soon forget. If you dont smell it, it's fine. You'll know!
6 :
Definitely DO NOT use it. I wouldn't take the chance. We buy all organic meats and chicken, but if we don't use it within 2 days, I freeze it. Bad chicken can make you VERY sick.
7 :
It wouldn't be good anymore. It only lasts 3 days max in the fridge. You could eat it like Chef Jeff says, but I wonder if you could hit him up for your hospital bills for the food poisoning!
8 :
No, don't eat it! It is too old. Had it been in the freezer it would be ok.
9 :
no dont use it it is spoiled for sure
10 :
i definitely would not eat it that is a long time to keep meat,it is not worth what you paid for it if you get really sick
11 :
A good, old and proven 'trick' for you smarty, from the days before refrigerators, which is still used pretty extensively: Steep the chicken in saline water for a couple of hours, it will help to kill off any external bacteria. You can actually bleach bad meat (it's a well known food scam) but this technique above can be used at home as its an aditional precaution but no real substitute for freshness, so I would not risk it on any meat that is obviously 'off'... better safe than sorry. ; )
12 :
When in doubt .... throw it out. Old Chef saying.
13 :
I agree with the other respondents - don't eat it! It sounds spoiled. You will end up in the emergency room.
14 :
you need a wife do not eat it please the life you save maybe some here on Yahoo Answers one day we would miss your questions
15 :
did you freeze it when you brought it home? if so then it is fine. If you had it in the refrige, then throw it away. Make sure no blood spilled in the refrig. You must use fresh chicken in 2-3 days


 Read more discussions :